The playwrights and plays that will be included in the in the 2019 have been confirmed!
In the 50-minute no-tech programme brought directly to your school by Y&H Tours, I AM MĀORI, directed by Nancy Brunning, showcases extracts from plays by Māori playwrights.
The plays and playwrights included are:
- AND WHAT REMAINS – Mīria George
- TAN-KNEE – Maraea Rakuraku
- WOMAN FAR WALKING – Witi Ihimaera
- TANIWHA WOMEN – Nancy Brunning
- WAIORA – Hone Kouka*
- DEATH OF THE LAND – Rori Hapīpī
- ASTROMAN – Albert Belz*
- NIGHT MECHANICS – Mīria George
- NGĀ POU WAHINE – Briar Grace-Smith*
- HUI – Mitch Tawhi Thomas
*NZQA Prescribe Playwright
The programme will touch on topics such as family issues, politics and land rights, with a common thread being ordinary people doing extraordinary things to change their world, no matter who they are or their background. It is the connection to their culture that gives them great strength to fight their battles and find the hero within.